The Pushkin House Russian Book Prize, now in its sixth year, rewards the very best non-fiction writing on Russia. Worth £5,000 to the winner, the Prize was created to encourage public understanding and intelligent debate about the Russian-speaking world. The prize is for a book published in English, but translations from other languages, including of course Russian, are encouraged and actively sought.
The 2018 Pushkin Prize is generously supported by Douglas Smith (author and winner of the inaugural award in 2013) and Stephanie Ellis-Smith and the Polonsky Foundation.
The previous winners are Douglas Smith for Former People: the Final Days of the Russian Aristocracy (Macmillan); Catherine Merridale for Red Fortress: The Secret Heart of Russia’s History (Allen Lane); Serhii Plokhii for The Last Empire: The Final Days of the Soviet Union (Oneworld); Dominic Lieven for Towards the Flame (Penguin); and Rosalind Blakesley for The Russian Canvas: Painting in Imperial Russia, 1757-1881 (Yale University Press).
Entry for the 2018 Prize has now closed and the shortlist will be announced in the spring.
The advisory board for the Pushkin House Russian Book Prize is made up of:
- Sir Rodric Braithwaite, former British ambassador to Moscow and author of Afgantsy: The Russians in Afghanistan 1979-89
- Andrew Jack (chair), former Co-Chairman of Pushkin House, and journalist at the Financial Times
- Bridget Kendall, Master, Peterhouse College, Cambridge University
- Andrew Nurnberg, Managing Director, Andrew Nurnberg Associates literary agency
- Marc Polonsky, trustee, The Polonsky Foundation
- Douglas Smith, historian, translator, author and winner of the 2013 (inaugural) Pushkin House prize
Key dates for the 2018 Prize
Prize opened for entries from publishers and 2018 judges announced
31 December 2017:
Prize closed for entries
24 April 2018:
2018 Shortlist announced
7 June 2018:
Winner of Pushkin House Russian Book Prize 2018 announced
If you have any questions about the Prize or eligibility, please email Rebecca Ostrovsky: email@example.com